This Football Season, brace yourself as eScan warns about Fake Gaming Applications!
eScan, Anti-Virus and Content Security Solution providers, this football season notifies football aficionados as regards the fake Gaming applications which are flooding in Google Play store. The play store makes available an open platform towards all gaming applications, be it legitimate or for that matter malicious. On record, Google is no doubt making headway in terms of security aspects, but then again the fraternity of cybercriminals are moving even faster.
It was found of late that one of the apps called ‘Corner Kick World Cup 2014′ developed courtesy; ‘VinoSports’, which stands as less than 1 MB in size, shows a series of advertisements and makes available no game to play. It displays nothing but just a white screen. Following research, eScan found that all apps developed by this developer offered on Google Play were the same.
Correspondingly, there stand many other mobile gaming apps that request for access to the data that has nothing to do with the app’s functioning. Nevertheless, this data then aids the hackers to be able to steal the victim’s banking credentials, followed by contacts, location, contents in storage device, so on and so forth. They can also alter user’s security configuration and start any activity sans the victim’s authorization.
In the wake of numerous fake apps being available in the Play Store, Google has started their ‘Bouncer’ service to assist police on-board the Google Play Store, and this has in due course cut down the number of fake or for that matter, malicious apps, but this does not entail that all of the fake apps will get wiped out.
eScan from its quarter recommends few tips aimed at Android users that will assist them to stay safe and revel in their gaming experience to the maximum, viz:-
- Make sure that your Android device is secure, braced with a dependable antivirus software that make it safe against emerging internet threats.
- Shelter your phone with Passwords.
- Before installing any gaming app or live streaming app for the period of tournament time, conduct a background check on various forums via search engines to comprehend the problems encountered by the users of that app and then act judiciously.
- Do comprehensive research about the reputability of the company that is selling the app.
- Always check the details entailing the web site developer to be able to ensure that – they have a legitimate mobile gaming app available.
- Do not install mobile apps before understanding the ‘Access Rights’ required by it.
- To conclude, install only applications (apps) from trusted sources. Never download apps from unauthorized or illegitimate apps stores.